- Purge air and dewater during hydro static testing.
- Confirm accuracy of flow meters.
- Signal actuating device.
- Separate fluids being transported through a pipeline, minimizing product contamination.
- Liquid removal in gas lines.
- Pass through out-of-round pipe.
Inflatable spheres are available in 4” sizes and larger. Solid spheres are available from 1 ½” through 4”
During the hydrostatic testing of pipelines, spheres are inserted ahead of the water column. As the sphere moves through the line, being pushed by the water, they purge the air from the line. During the testing phase the sphere remains in the line and is unaffected by the test pressures. Following the test, the sphere can return to the starting point, evacuating the test water. In addition, if the line must be freed from all traces of moisture, the same spheres can be used to contain a slug of alcohol between them. Absorbing all remaining traces of moisture as they travel through the line.
Though not the optimum product, spheres can be used for separating various products such as gasolines, fuel oils, crude oils, jet fuels, and other petroleum products transported through a pipeline.